We review the classic BBC sci-fi Quatermass serials written by Nigel Kneale, and their adaptations. Quatermass was immensely influential on Doctor Who, The X Files, and John Carpenter’s work among other sci-fi and horror. We discuss Quatermass’ themes including humanism, pacifism, paranoia, and the alien behind the familiar.
Hosted by Derek Johnson and Ani White. Edited by Lidia Grigorut and Ani White.
- Intro/Recs: 0.55
- Quatermass series overview: 9.15
- The Quatermass Experiment (original and remakes): 16.41
- Quatermass II (ditto): 30.28
- Musical interlude – Science Fiction Double Feature, performed by Daniel Payne: 46.15
- Quatermass and the Pit (ditto): 50.30
- The Quatermass Conclusion: 59.55
- The Quatermass Memoirs: 15.55
Links to Quatermass entries:
- The Quatermass Experiment – Incomplete (1953), serial by BBC on archive.org (free of charge)
- The Quatermass Xperiment remake (1955), feature film by Hammer on archive.org
- Quatermass II (1955), serial by BBC on archive.org
- Quatermass 2 remake (1957), feature film by Hammer on archive.org
- Quatermass and the Pit (1958-59), serial by BBC on archive.org
- Five Millions Years To Earth [Quatermass and the Pit remake] (1967), feature film by Hammer on archive.org
- The Quatermass Conclusion (1979), serial by ITV on archive.org
- The Quatermass Memoirs (1996), radio drama-documentary by BBC Radio 3 on youtube
- The Quatermass Experiment remake (2005), feature-length drama by BBC on Amazon Prime
- Aurealis, Australian sci-fi/fantasy journal
- Quatermass and the Pit, book by Kim Newman
- Into The Unknown: The Fantastic Life of Nigel Kneale (Revised & Updated), book by Andy Murray (featuring interviews with Kneale, John Carpenter, Mark Gatiss, Russell T Davies, Grant Morrison and others)
- Quatermass In Television and Movies (Kindle Edition), book by Mark F Cain
- Lovecraft Country, TV show by HBO
- Outsiders: How To Adapt H.P. Lovecraft In the 21st Century, video essay by Harris Bomberguy on youtube
- Doctor Who seasons 25-26, TV show by the BBC on Amazon Prime
Media samples (aside from Quatermass):
- “I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords…”: S5 E15 of The Simpsons (1994)
- “We are all interested in the future…”: Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)
- Mars, Bringer of War (excerpt from The Planets by Gustav Holst), performed by US Air Force Band, via Free School
- Where’s My Jetpack – Hotel Free Babylon
- Science Fiction Double-Feature, song by Richard O’Brien performed by Daniel Payne
- Theremin tracks: samples from It Came From Outer Space (1953) via jarichards99, Nightingale by Konstantin Kovalski via Theremin Today – Терменвокс, Leon Theremin playing his own instrument via slonikyouth, 18 – theremin by rap2h, Jovian synth 4 (synth imitating theremin) by thatjeffcarter
- Darksynth tracks: Interdimensional Horror + Infection + Journey Into The Black + Identity* all by Karl Casey @ White Bat Audio
Public domain sci-fi sound effects by Hanna Barbera.
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
If you can, please support our work financially at patreon.com/jetpack1917