Happy (war on) Christmas 💚
This month kaiju* superfan Jase Short guest-stars, as we review six kaiju flicks, focusing on the ecological themes of these genre classics.
We conclude with a No Fate Project report, on the surprise emergence of real Kaiju in our timeline.
*Japanese word for ‘strange beast’, popularised by Godzilla.
Hosted by Derek Johnson and Ani White, edited by Lidia Grigorut and Ani White.
- Recs: 3.25
- Kaiju genre overview: 11.20
- Godzilla (1954): 15.20
- Mothra vs Godzilla (1964): 24.10
- Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971): 36.20
- Godzilla vs Biollante (1989): 50.50
- Shin Godzilla (2016): 1.01.00 / 61.00
- The Host (2006): 1.13.30 / 73.30
- No Fate Project report: 1.26.40 / 86.40
- Feature films (chronologically): Princess Mononoke (1997), Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001), Pacific Rim (2013), Kong: Skull Island (2017), Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018), Rampage (2018)
- Essay: Jase Short’s “Monsters of the Rift: Kaiju as Ciphers of Unbalance” from Creatures in Our World: Essays on Kaiju and American Popular Culture, Camille D.G. Mustachio & Jason Barr (eds), McFarland & Company, 2017
- Music video: Holiday by Lil Nas X
- Podcast: Transnational Solidarity Pod
- Simon Says (Instrumental) by Pharoah Monch
- Where’s My Jetpack by Hotel Free Babylon
- Clair de Lune – Epic Version by L’Orchestra Cinématique
- Shin Godzilla by Karl Casey @ White Bat Audio
Further background music:
- Samples from It Came From Outer Space (1953) via jarichards99
- Nightingale by Konstantin Kovalski via Theremin Today – Терменвокс
- Leon Theremin playing his own instrument via slonikyouth
- 18 – theremin by rap2h
- Jovian synth 4 (synth imitating theremin) by thatjeffcarter
- Awaken + Search for Destiny + The Last Whisper – Royalty Free Zone
- All reviewed films + Godzilla 2000 (1999)
- Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)
- Inside Out (2015)
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
If you can, please support our work financially at patreon.com/jetpack1917