We discuss the question of who determines meaning in art/entertainment: author, audience or both?
Then we conclude with a review of Godzilla vs Kong (2021), with guest kaiju superfan Jase Short.
Hosted by Derek Johnson and Ani White, edited by Lidia Grigorut and Ani White.
- Recs: 2.45
- Main segment: 8.00
- Godzilla vs Kong review: 53.15
- Snyder Cut takes: Jessie Gender, Maggie Mae Fish, RedLetterMedia, Steve Shives
- Iron Man and Post-9/11 America, Renegade Cut video essay
- Bad Gays podcast (particularly Roy Cohn and Morrissey episodes)
- Queer hip-hop: Montero by Lil Nas X, Goodie Goodies by Cakes da Killa, Ima Read by Zebra Katz (ft. Njena Reddd Foxxx), Join My Militia by Mykki Blanco
- JK Rowling video essays: Lindsay Ellis, Natalie Wynn / ContraPoints
- Jim Sterling (non-binary gaming commentator)
- The Death of the Author, essay by Roland Barthes (1967)
- Encoding/Decoding, essay by Stuart Hall (1973)
- The Nationwide Project, wikipedia summary of a research project by David Morley and Charlotte Brunsdon (originally conducted over late 1970s and early 1980s)
- Scream Queen: My Nightmare on Elm St, documentary (2020)
- Death Star PR: Is all corporate media propaganda? previous Where’s My Jetpack episode
- Fight Club and Fincher, video essay by Maggie Mae Fish (also Zack Snyder Parts 1, 2 & 3)
- Fight Club, video essay by Renegade Cut
- Where’s My Jetpack, by Hotel Free Babylon
- Theremin tracks: samples from It Came From Outer Space (1953) via jarichards99, Nightingale by Konstantin Kovalski via Theremin Today – Терменвокс, Leon Theremin playing his own instrument via slonikyouth, 18 – theremin by rap2h, Jovian synth 4 (synth imitating theremin) by thatjeffcarter
- Darksynth tracks: Interdimensional Horror + Infection + Journey Into The Black all by Karl Casey @ White Bat Audio
Samples from Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), Fight Club (1999), Community (2009-2015), Ant Man and the Wasp (2018), Godzilla vs Kong (2021), Björk talking about her TV
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
If you can, please support our work financially at patreon.com/jetpack1917